Like many of you, I also spend a lot of time plopped in front of a computer working away or laid out on the couch watching the latest cooking or sports show when the weekend comes. When the hungers pains begin to hit it is way too easy to grab a phone and call for some fast (high in saturated fats) delivery food, or worse we grab a bag of potato chips or cookies and munch away while chasing them down with a very large ice filled glass of soda. This overindulgence in food can lead to a feeling of being bloated that won’t go away and the two or three pounds that you also gained during the weekend.
Sadly the end results of all this munching and overeating are the effects that it has not only in your general health but also to your bulging waistline. Herein are some quick, easy and painless ways to tighten those love handles up and feel better about yourself.
- Try holding your stomach in. I know, it sound too easy but really by doing them in sets of ten when you’re standing in the elevator, or standing in line, or even when you’re watching television can tighten the abs some and also cause your metabolism to go up and thus burn some calories
- Cut back on the booze. The weekend now means Football and the availability of beer is excessive everywhere you go to watch a game. Try cutting back some and see what it does to your waistline for one month. You will be guaranteed to see a difference in not only your waistline but also your scale.
- Dance it off! Take a dance class (salsa, ballroom, belly or pole dancing) at the local gym or simply put in your favorite track and dance for an hour a day. All types of vigorous dancing are great for burning fat and calories, like 400 per hour, and dancing is fabulous for your waistline.
- Do not starve yourself. While a healthy low fat diet is important for the reduction of body fat and flattening your stomach eating too little food can be disastrous to your waistline. By cutting back you are triggering the production of stress hormones cortisol and insulin, which control blood sugar levels, and our body responds by storing excessive calories in the abdominal region and mostly as fats.
- Watch your favorite comedy show or movie and laugh it off. The real key to strengthening the transverse abdominus muscle lies in very subtle movements, like laughing, because it contracts the muscle appropriately and burns calories.