“Coined as the cornerstone of every great pizza this recipe will certainly keep your family and friends talking for days”
Prep time: 30 minutes
Cooking time: 1 hour ( and so well worth it)
3 white large onions- chopped
3 lbs. of tomatoes- chopped
2 large green bell peppers- chopped
1 large head of garlic- peeled then crushed then diced
1 cup tomato paste
1 cup red wine
3 tsps. Sea Salt
1 tsp. Ground black pepper
3 tbls Fresh basil
3 tbls. Fresh oregano
4 tbls. Extra Virgin olive oil
2 cups water
3 tbls. Sugar
- Heat up a large pot.
- When the pot is hot (around 5 minutes) add the oil and allow it to come to heat.
- Add the onions, 1tsp. Sea salt and mix slowly. Allow the sizzle to continue throughout this process since this is what will give your sauce that dark grilled onion flavor.
- After 5 minutes add the green peppers and garlic and 1 tsp. of sea salt, and continue the slow mixing sizzling process.
- After 5 minutes add the chopped tomatoes, mix then add the tomato paste, red wine, water, basil, oregano, sugar and all the remaining salt and slowly mix until the tomato paste has dissolved.
- Cover and bring to a boil.
- After it has started to boil turn heat to medium, mix slowly for 1 minute then cook with the lid off for 45 minutes mixing every 5 minutes.
- Turn heat off, mix and allow to sit uncovered for 15 minutes before serving.
All recipes by Chef Ed Resident Chef Health and Fitness Talk