“Serve a stir-fry loaded with tender chicken breast and crisp veggies. Stir-frying is a great reduced-calorie way to cook, because you use less oil.”
Prep time: 15 min
Cooking time: 30 min for rice, 5 minutes stir frying
YIELD: 4 servings
Cooking Long-Grain White Rice:
2 teaspoons corn oil
1 cup long-grain white rice (not converted)
1 ½ cup chicken broth
½ cup chopped onions
1/2 teaspoon salt
- Heat oil in a medium-size saucepan over medium heat. Add chopped onions and rice; cook, stirring occasionally for 3 minutes. Add chicken broth and salt; bring to boil blend ingredients and reduce heat to low, cover tightly, and cook until liquid is absorbed, about 15 min. Turn off heat; let rice stand on burner, still covered, to finish cooking, about 14 min. longer. Fluff with fork.
- 1/3 cup cubed green onions(softly break apart with your hands)
- 1/4 cup dry-roasted cashews, salted and coarsely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 2/3 cup chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch, divided
- 5 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce, divided
- 2 tablespoons black bean sauce
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 (1-pound) chicken breast fillet cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 tablespoon canola oil, divided
- 2 cups Broccoli
- 1 cup cubed onion (cut into cubes then break apart with your hands)
- 1 tablespoon grated peeled fresh ginger
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups sugar snap peas, trimmed
- 1 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 1 Tbls of your favorite hot sauce
- ¼ cup chopped cilantro
Stir fry Preparation:
- Combine 2/3 cup chicken broth, 1 tablespoon cornstarch, 2 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce, peanut oil and honey in a small bowl, and set aside.
- Combine chicken, remaining 1 tablespoon cornstarch, and the remaining 3 tablespoon soy sauce in a bowl, tossing well to coat.
- Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken, careful not to add at all once, just bit by bit; sauté 4 minutes or until browned. Remove from pan.
- Add remaining 1 teaspoon oil to pan. Add mushrooms and 1 cup onion; sauté 2 minutes. Stir in ginger and garlic; sauté 30 seconds. Add peas and bell pepper to pan; sauté 1 minute. Stir in chicken; sauté 1 minute, add in the black bean sauce and hot sauce..
- Add reserved broth mixture to pan. Cook 1 minute or until thick, stirring constantly.
- Place ¾ cup of the rice in the middle of the plate, and with a large ladle create a hole n the middle careful to gently push the rice to the edges.
- Place1 cup of the stir fry in the middle. Sprinkle with fresh cilantro and serve.
All recipes by Chef Eddy Resident Chef