Getting a great night sleep can make all the difference in your next day’s performance and mood so it is important to observe some important guidelines in order to not only get a good night’s rest but to keep you focused and healthy and your lifestyle, diet and work habits has a lot to do with it. By practicing these suggestions you will be able to get back on track and feel wholesome and ready for a new day.
- Don’t’ go to bed angry. Researchers have indicated that when you go to bed when angry can have very bad ill effects on one’s health as it increases heart rate and blood pressure. It can also cause you to have irregular breathing, lower your insulin activity and promote chronic muscle spasms, all said and done, chronic anger can destroy your health and peace of mind.
- Don’t eat 2 to three hours before bedtime. Eating too much food before you go to sleep will not only not be healthy for you but will cause you to take longer to fall asleep. But if you do eat before eating you should try to avoid fatty and spicy foods ( Spicy foods can cause you to suffer from heartburn and will make you feel sluggish and slow when you wake up in the morning. as well as foods high in fat content (burgers and fries etc) and drinks high in caffeine and sugar. These will drastically reduce your quality of sleep. Please note that going to bed hungry is not good for you either, so if you do feel the pangs before bedtime, have a light snack or a warm cup of milk.
- Stay off the sauce. Booze can dehydrate you and seriously impair your getting a good night’s rest as it may appear to help you to get to sleep but most often causes you to awake a few hours later. Alcohol can also inhibit your body’ natural burning response which means that you burn fewer calories.
- Take a hot shower or bath with oils like lavender because it enduces sleep and reduces stress. Not only will the oils relax you but the warm water will help your muscles relax. The best is to get a massage right before bedtime.
- Sleep with total silence and darkness. A distraction of any kind will cause you to continually toss and turn waiting to fall into your much needed slumber. Turn that TV and radio off, plug that continual dripping coming from the bathroom up, and cover those cable box lights up and hit the sack in peace.
Keep in mind that water is always good so drinking a glass before bedtime and keeping a glass or bottle of water by your bedside is always good and will keep your body hydrated through the night. With these five simples hints you should be able to get a great night’s sleep. Happy sleeping.