College life has a powerful and dynamic impact on our bodies with the late nights, long hours of studying and saturated fats eaten by way of takeout pizza or burgers.
Here is a list of reminders for you including many that you may not of heard of before but can be very effective in keeping you sharp and fit.
- Get out of bed. Yes, the temptation is very strong to stay in bed and sleep the morning away but getting too much bed rest can be bad for your fitness and state of mind.
- Wash your hands often. There are lots of germs lurking around college communal areas and dorms.
- Do not be afraid of sports. Grab a Frisbee, soccer or football and hit the lawn. Someone will be bound to ask you if they can play.
- Alcohol is readily available in college dorms and the temptation to have a cold one can be overpowering at times, try blending up a fresh fruit smoothie instead.
- Dried fruits are great anytime as a snack so keep a large Tupperware full of them.
- Keep a bowl of fresh fruits like bananas, apples and pears around. This is healthier than a chocolate bar or an ice cream bar.
- Stay hydrated by drinking plenty of water. Staying fully hydrated is important to healthy internal organs and keeping a healthy complexion. Drink 8 -10 glasses of water per day. Avoid power drinks filled with caffeine, sugars etc. They will actually dehydrate you.
- Take some dance classes. Dancing is a great cardiovascular exercise. Most colleges have clubs dedicated to dance styles.
- Listen to quality music. And I don’t mean 50 Cents latest album. Try listening to music such as classical, ambient or soft spa music. This can help greatly in reducing stress and causes your blood vessels to relax and produce which protect the heart.
10. Get plenty of sleep. Yes there are a lot of extracurricular activities on a college campus at all hours which can deter us from getting our much needed 8 hours of sleep per night.