Health&Fitness Talk

Supporting Healthy Life Styles

Vitiligo
by Kimberly Allen, RN Vitiligo is a disorder in which you develop white patches on your skin.  It affects as many as 5 million Americans and 65 million people worldwide.  Vitiligo affects all races, however, it tends to be more noticeable in people with darker skin.  It usually begins... Read more
Porphyrias
by Kimberly Allen, RN Porphyrias are a group of disorders that can affect your skin or nerves.  The most common type of porphyria is called porphyria cutaneous tarda or PCT.  PCT can be either acquired or inherited.  approximately 80% of PCT cases are acquired with the remaining 20% being... Read more
Impetigo

Impetigo is a highly contagious superficial skin infection. It is much more prevalent in preschool and school age children than adults because children’s immune systems are not fully developed yet. Impetigo is also more common in crowded environments as well as warm humid areas…

Read more
Scleroderma

Scleroderma is an autoimmune disorder involving the connective tissue in your body. Scleroderma affects all races and can be found worldwide . Approximately 1 out of every 1,000 people in the US have some form of scleroderma. It affects women four times more often than men and is more common in African Americans …

Read more