by Kendi Charls, NPC National Figure CompetitorBalance is a beautiful thing. I have written about this time and time again, but coming off the holidays I am sure some of us are feeling maybe a little more “jiggly” than usual or maybe our favorite jeans are just a little snug. I ate, I drank and I was merry and it was all worth it and most importantly – it is okay.I took Christmas morning off but made sure I got a few killer workouts in the weekend prior to and Christmas Eve. A couple days after the holidays and my body feels great again. I had a couple days of feeling “a little snug” with all the dinners, Christmas parties and travel! The difference between this year and previous years, is I have found balance in my workouts as well as my lifestyle, my job, my relationships and gym time. I didn’t gain weight after my last show and completely cut out cardio for weeks learning to figure out my body and finding balance. I eat healthy but eat carbs and fats daily, plus red meat, some cheat meals, a cocktail here and there and workout every morning once a day – NOT TWICE! I work twice as hard when I’m in the gym and I’ve finally made some progress this off season! No bulking, no bigger pant sizes just pushing twice as hard while I am in the gym and learning my body and keeping a fairly clean diet!2012 will be a tough year all around to beat but I am ready for the challenge! Bring it 2013! I am ready!Easy ways to stay on track in 2013:1. Find a workout partner; someone to hold you accountable
2. Schedule your workouts; whether they are AM or PM try to go around the same time
3. Update your Playlists!! New jams always get me moving;)
4. Do not expect huge results in a day or a week; slow and steady wins the race. Choose easier goals to keep you motivated and moving along as opposed to getting burnt out!
5. Reward yourself with a cheat meal or two a week! Just like one clean meal won’t make you skinny; one cheat meal won’t make you fat!
6. Be Prepared! Pack your lunch for work or if you know you will be out and about all day pack healthy snacks!
7. Buy a new pair of gym shoes or a workout top! Before a competition I always buy myself something fitness related to get excited for the new challenge:)
8. Something is better than nothing. If you know you are crunched for time and only have 20-30 minutes find a High intensity workout you can do from home their are plenty online.
9. Aim to drink a gallon of water a day. Rid of empty calorie liquid drinks!
10. Remember it’s not a race; it’s a marathon! No one is perfect so don’t be so hard on yourself!Make 2013 the year when you cross fitness goals off; not write them off after a couple months and say you will try again next year! Let’s get moving!! You can do it!
Kendi Charls is a top ranked National Physique Committee competitor and a well-known advocate of healthy living through diet and exercise. She is a life-long athlete in multiple sports such as soccer, basketball, track, softball and volleyball. She is a graduate of the University of Northern Iowa where she received her BA in Fashion Design and played for the school’s volleyball team. You may reach Kendi Charls at email@example.com.