by Kendi Charls, NPC National Figure Competitor
Fueling For Your Workouts!
First things first; properly fueling your body for your workouts. My “other half” has been complaining about how soar his legs have been this entire week and he actually did a workout similar to the one I am going to share with you today, five days ago. I am not a fan of walking around in pain. Some people love the feeling. It makes me tired and cranky. It makes my body feel like it needs more food to compensate and fuel it. I used to walk around soar on a daily basis. I am in shape; I eat well however I wake up so soar every morning I can barely get out of bed! Something is wrong here. The solution is preparing your body for your workouts and properly fueling it when it needs it most. Take a look at my workout regime when it comes to my Pre & Post Workout consumption.
- Pre-workout – 5 grams of Solid Muscle BCAA Berry Blast mixed in with about 8 ounces of water – sometimes I will add an additional pre-workout supplement for extra energy; however it’s not always needed.
- During – 5 grams of Solid Muscle BCAA Berry Blast and 5 grams of Solid Muscle Glutamine mixed in my water bottle that I take to the gym.
- Post – I pack my post workout shake – 1 scoop of my favorite Solid Muscle Chocolate Protein and 5 grams of Glutamine and consume after my weight workout.
- Post – I will generally eat a meal within the hour of finishing my workout.
- Post – If possible, especially if you work out at night, soak in an Epsom Salt bath. I have added this to my routine and it’s amazing how much better I feel in the morning.
- Post – GET REST; SLEEP J
Now for the workout! I call in my “Dirty in Thirty…Minutes.” Start off warming up with 10 minutes on the elliptical or walking on an incline and some active stretching. When it comes to leg day I know now I must always make sure my legs are warmed up and ready to go. This workout requires 3 Sets.
Set 1: 60 seconds in motion / 30 second rest
- Side lunges (right side to left side) – I included a little hop. Weights Optional.
- Walking Lunges (turn up the tempo – alternating jumping lunges). Weights Optional.
- Single Arm Kettle Bell Squats (alternate kettle bell from right to left hand between each squat).
- Goblet Squat – http://www.womenshealthmag.com/fitness/goblet-squat
- Lying Leg Raises
Set 2: 60 seconds in motion / 30 second rest
Set 3: 30 seconds in motion / 30 second rest.
I did an active rest of about two minutes just walking around between sets. I recommend walking for 5/10 minutes slowly or doing the bike to cool the legs down and STRETCH!
Spartan Style Workout FUELED by SOLIDMUSCLE! – Train Hard!
Kendi Charls is a top ranked National Physique Committee competitor and a well-known advocate of healthy living through diet and exercise. She is a life-long athlete in multiple sports such as soccer, basketball, track, softball and volleyball. She is a graduate of the University of Northern Iowa where she received her BA in Fashion Design and played for the school’s volleyball team. You may reach Kendi Charls at firstname.lastname@example.org.