“You can have this as a snack, lunch or dinner”
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 1 ½ hours (and well worth it)
- 5 cups white onions sliced
- 5 cups sliced red onions
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon dark honey
- ½ cup dry white wine- Sauvignon Blanc
- 1 tablespoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 10 cups beef broth
- ½ teaspoon fresh thyme chopped
- 8 slices French bread preferably one day old cut into 1 inch cubes.
- 4 ounces Swiss cheese
- 4 ounces ementaller cheese
- Heat a large boiling pan to high.
- When the pot is hot add the olive oil making sure to cover the entire surface of the pot.
- Add the sea salt and ground black pepper then the onions a cup at a time mixing in between and sauté for 10 minutes mixing often.
- Add the white wine and mix thoroughly then add the honey, thyme and broth mix and continue to cook for 1 hour more then remove from heat with the lid off.
Preheat oven broiler to 375 F.
- Place the bread slices on a single layer on a large baking dish coat with a brush dipped in extra virgin olive oil and place in the oven for 3 minutes or until well toasted cafeful to turn after 1 ½ minutes.
- Place 4 large oven proof soup mugs on a large flat baking dish.
- Ladle the soup into each mug then place the bread slices on top of the soup followed by the cheeses and broil for 4 minutes or until the cheese looks nice and brown like pizza cheese. Garnish with fresh chopped thyme and serve with a smile.