Many older Americans in this day and age are able to experience a higher and better quality of life due not only to their constant activity but also by preserving function and independence. They are also taking an approach to their own health with exercises that focus on low impact moves that take the least toll on their bodies. The best approaches to a fit body no matter what the age is are those that focus on addressing the needs of not only the body but the spirit and mind as well. Mind and body exercises such as yoga can unleash even greater health and vitality. This sport is an ideal choice for older people because it has a positive effect in the entire body, emotion, intellect and soul of the participant. It can increase vital energy all the while soothing and strengthening the body, focusing the mind and nurturing the soul.
The following are the five best reasons why older adults should take up this great exercise and lifestyle choice. Also keep in mind that Yoga can offer you very strong protection from falls which is a major threat to those in the declining years.
- Yoga will improve your balance dramatically as one of the most important parts of a senior citizen fitness program is balance training. This way older people will be able to avoid devastating falls that can lead to disability and or accidental death.
- Yoga will also improve your respiratory and heart health as yoga has been shown to improve blood circulation, heart health and breathing functions. Yoga breathing exercises are potent tools that will increase not only your respiratory function but also your breathing capacity and physical energy.
- Yoga will also improve your posture as the positions in Yoga induce one to have more spinal strength and health. Also having a healthy body posture will assure you from not suffering from digestive and respiratory ailments as well and also keep in mind that poor posture accompanied with osteoporosis will surely lead you to weak bones and stress fractures.
- Yoga will strengthen your bones and muscles as yoga focuses on building muscle strength and the vital weight bearing positions that it offers will stimulate the bones to retain their calcium.
- Yoga will improve your flexibility and also contribute to your everyday functions and mobility and please keep in mind that you do not need to be flexible to do yoga, it’s the yoga the makes you flexible.
The increase in energy that you will feel after beginning your yoga will gently revitalize and balance your body’s system and you will one day feel a change in yourself that will leave you feeling great as you will be able to deal with stress better, and you will not have those feeling of shortness of breath when climbing the stairs, and I guarantee that everyone around you will also see the difference in you and comment about it to you and even ask you how you got so fit. So with these five tips will get you on the right track and keep you healthy for those days when everyone is feeling under the weather.